Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Preparing ~ Imbolc, Candlemas , Groundhog Day


I'm beginning to prepare our Imbolc crafts & recipes .
This is a big day for us as it is also the birthday of our ds23 Dacotah . Who moved back to our city this past Autumn to attend school .
I am slowly preparing a lovely dedication to Brigid for our dd25 who is taking the steps towards becoming a Midwife !
Brigid Goddess & Saint Brigid are both connected to Midwives, pregnant women , birth & nursing ☺


I love this book by Cait Johnson and think I will do the rainstick craft with my grandson
check Your library as it is a popular book here is the same craft at Enchanted Learning




All Year Round has some neat candle crafts and although I have beeswax for melting I think I will purchase the sheets to do candle craft with my grandson
gather herbs and purchase wax sheets , & wick . just sprinkle wax sheet with herbs or flowers , use a hair dryer to warm the sheet a little if you like to make the sheet a little easier for little hands to roll
I'll try and post photos the day after we do the activity .
I also hope to do this Waldorf Candle activity Thanks to Nissa and her Family ☺


Yes I will usually always use this book in our festival posts ! As usual there are stories , a song and recipes .
This year I am making the Ginger Beer recipe !
My sil has been making Ginger Beer from the recipe from the book Wild Fermentation and for those who love fermented things and vinegar type flavour you will love that recipe as my dh did . However I do not like fermented things nor vinegars with the exception of very mild rice vinegar .
 So this recipe is a yeast one and a sweet one . It takes about 2-3 days to be ready . 



Although this book does not have actual activities specific to candlemas aside from candle making there are spring songs and poems , the story of Persephone


I am not using an activity this time from Earthways but it is such a wonderful book I do not want to leave it out
and it does have several gardening activities . We are a tad early for spring here as winter can be 4 more months .However I almost always do this activity with the ids which my Mum always did with us ☺

That is purchase bulbs and plant them with the kids


 You can use either pots with potting soil or use stones placed in cake pan , pie plate etc. place bulbs on top and water the pan .


I also am planning that along with the Brigid's cross acitvity I will also make God's Eye Craft with the kids .
If You want an adult version check this out ! Just awesome

I am excited about this recipe book I found at the library .
I am going to make several of the recipes  for ds23 birthday The Walnut Onion Bread , Crustade of Chicken . The book does not include but I am making an old fashioned Custard pudding too .
For the dedication for our dd I am making the Moon Cookies in a crescent shape .


I also love love this book !
I always make the Brede's Braid Bread recipe .
This is also the book I learned my true form of Divination biblomancy it is a really good read .


and of course we will watch Groundhog Day for Dacotah's celebration ☺

It is also of course the day Jesus was dedicated in Jewish tradition and when Dacotah decided to be baptized all those yrs ago he took the name Jesus as a confirmation name .


As I mentioned I am getting ideas from several sources to have a nice dedication for my dd
perhaps the fairy wine or a dairy source for the drink to go along with the theme of nursing Mother . I think I may also make a Brede's bed and a special prayer candle using specific herbs .
I'm still looking for an appropriate incantation .I may make my own ☺

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing all those beautiful resource books!

    ReplyDelete