Monday, April 29, 2013

Harvesting with Ancestors


We had such an amazing restoring day yesterday I would love to share .
You all know how I love picking / harvesting and this yr. seems to be evolving into an exceptionally productive yr. Both for supply & spirit .
The beginning of picking in late winter began with the return of Eagles & encouragment of the ancestors. Eagles to our family represent the grandfathers .
Yesterday we actually got out of the city early so we could have an extra long day til nightfall arrived.
It was the last day for me to pick the poplar buds for balm of gilead .The buds are already dried up on some trees.
When I first arrived I wanted to check on the clay deposits for harvesting . the snow has receeded and the clay is exposed now ! As I looked down in the spot right under the Eagle tree I found my first Eagle feather of the season !A beautiful gift of confirmation . as I mentioned before our ds 17yo & I always find the feathers .
When I was soaking up the sun beams picking the poplar buds I began to think 7 meditate .Harvesting is the perfect time for prayer & thinking on things . I began to think of harvesting Cedar sacred tree of healing , protection & the dead . I thought how some tribes here teach only men can pick cedar because it is a male medicine . so many tribes have different customs . Does it make it a for sure , an absolute for us . well no of course not . For some tobacco is like this only men grow & harvest it .
Anyway Cedar I work with most often when someone is passing , it helps in cleansing & protecing towards death .
I have been asked to harvest & collect from others but mostly ancestors .
I was thinking this while meditating . How my great grandmother was of the people of Cedar . she picked , they used it for thier homes , medicines , shade in heat etc.
so I thought yes I am to pick Cedar I have permission of my ancestors .
I then looked up at the sky above . There not one but two Eagles , riding on the winds . circling over & over again !
I put down my pail and raised my arms up to the sky .Palms open & upward . I gave a huge prayer of Thanks . It also turns out these Eagles nest in the bush in a spruce on our property !
after the affirmation of Eagles I picked for perhaps 1/2 hr. longer then heard a sound , an ever so silent sound . I was not familiar with this sound . I looked down to the ground and there crawling along the slushy snow in the hot sun was a garter snake ! The first of the season .
We had a great day dh got the tractor unstuck and did his thing , ds12 made dams with the newly flowing ditch water .

We also saw several turkey vultures eating road kill on our drive home .
This was a great day of re-affirming who we are as a family .I am ever so thankful & inspired for the week ahead .






No comments:

Post a Comment